Join bluebird bio’s enthusiastic and collaborative team and contribute to the success of our novel gene therapy approach. In this new role, help refine and implement the vision and program expansion of novel cellular immunotherapy products at bluebird bio. The scope of this initiative will encompass cellular and tumor immunology to enable a pipeline of novel immunotherapy products. Our goal is to engineer of cells of the hematopoietic system using our lentiviral vector and megaTAL platforms to generate therapeutic cells with novel immunological properties. This position demands an experienced scientific manager who can make informed risk/benefit decisions about enhancing T cell biological activity, potential tumor antigen identification, and further aspects of preclinical candidate development. Candidates will provide a sophisticated level of coordination with bluebird’s core functions by leading a multi-disciplinary cellular immunotherapy project team.
About the position:
- Lead a team of scientific and technical professionals to engineer cells of the hematopoietic system with properties that mediate anti-cancer activity, with the goal of bringing these modified cells through phase I clinical development.
- Oversee the development of relevant in vitro assays to assess function, as well as preclinical models to evaluate efficacy and safety.
- Identify and bring in new technology to improve the therapeutic potential of gene- modified hematopoietic cells for cellular immunotherapy.
- PhD or MD in immunology with at least 5 years of post-doctoral experience
- Must have at least 2-3 years of management experience at a biotech company
- Must have a demonstrated track record of contributing to the progression of early research and development to clinical proof of concept in the field of immunology/immunotherapy
- Must have detailed knowledge of the structure/function of tumor targeting receptors such as T cell receptors (TCR) and chimeric antigen receptors (CAR)
- Experience managing teams in a matrixed environment
- Experience in building partnerships and leveraging relationships with internal scientific teams to drive execution of research strategies
- Ability to work effectively in a collaborative team environment where results are achieved through influence, cooperation, and the incorporation of multiple points of view
- Independently motivated, detail oriented and good problem-solving ability
- Excellent organizational skills, sufficient to multi-task in an extremely fast-paced environment with changing priorities
- Excellent communication skills and ability to influence across multiple functions
- Be ready to embrace the principles of the bluebird bio culture: b colorful, b cooperative, and b yourself
Note to Employment Agencies: Please do not forward any agency resumes. bluebird bio is not responsible for any fees related to resumes that are unsolicited.