bluebird bio’s Immunotherapy team is looking for a highly talented and motivated candidate to be responsible for operating, maintaining and training staff on our suite of flow cytometers (sorters & analyzers). Additionally, you will be expected to prepare, standardize and organize flow cytometry related reagents and materials (e.g. buffers, fixatives, antibodies, etc.). You will draft and maintain up to date SOPs for flow cytometry related activities, including instrument QC, reagent preparation, operating guidelines, etc. You will interface with users inside and outside of the Immunotherapy group to ensure smooth operation and assist with troubleshooting. In addition, you will develop flow cytometry based assays that directly contribute to oncology based cell therapy projects.
About the role:
- Maintain operational readiness for each instrument by performing daily QC and by ensuring best practices are being used by individual operators
- Assist end users with experimental design, execution and troubleshooting of flow cytometry based assays
- Perform lab associated tasks in accordance with bluebird bio lab safety policies including antibody titration, reagent preparation & validation, etc.
- Contribute to documentation by drafting SOPs, keeping log books and maintaining a lab notebook
- Train new personnel on instruments and maintain open dialog with existing flow users
- Autonomously lead development of flow based assays (e.g. proliferation, cytokine analysis, transcription factor analysis, apoptosis, cytotoxicity, PhosphoFLOW & signaling, etc.)
- BS/MS in cell biology, immunology or related field with 2+ years of flow cytometry experience
- Capable of successfully operating a cell sorter without supervision
- Must be proficient in operating a variety of instruments across multiple platforms (e.g. Sony, BD, Miltenyi, BioRAD, etc.)
- Proficient in flow cytometry data analysis using requisite software (e.g. FlowJo, FACSDiva, Cytobank, etc.)
- Experience creating and using Pivot Tables in MS Excel (desired)
- Experience using a database manager (e.g. Sapoi Exemplar LIMS)
- Familiarity with emerging technologies (e.g. Mass Cytometry, Amnis and other high content platforms)
- Understanding of basic cellular & molecular principles of T cell biology including phenotypes and effector functions (familiarity with T cell engineering & therapeutics is highly desired)
- Independently motivated, detail oriented and excellent problem-solving ability
- Outstanding organizational skills, and ability to multi-task in an extremely fast-paced environment with changing priorities
- Strong interpersonal skills that promote collaboration, incite scientific curiosity and outwardly project enthusiasm for all things flow cytometry
- “Do what it takes” attitude
- Be ready to embrace the principles of bluebird bio culture: b colorful, b cooperative, b yourself
bluebird bio will only accept job applications from candidates who are properly documented with authorization to work in the United States.
Note to Employment Agencies: Please do not forward any agency resumes. bluebird bio is not responsible for any fees related to resumes that are unsolicited.