Join bluebird bio’s enthusiastic and collaborative team by contributing to the overall success of our novel gene therapy approach. The focus of this position is to provide support for the testing and development of exploratory assays for clinical samples as well as support process improvements in the hematopoietic stem cell (HSC) program. We are looking for a motivated associate scientist with excellent technical skills and a strong team spirit to drive and perform experimental studies within our translational research department.
- Perform complex technical work related to stem cell biology, viral gene transfer, and molecular biology, including tissue culture, flow cytometry, Luminex, HPLC, and qPCR
- Contribute to experimental design and project direction
- Participate in writing and updating protocol or standard operating procedures.
- Prepare technical reports and support internal/external collaborations
- Participate in ongoing research projects as well as implementing novel strategies utilizing gene modified hematopoietic stem cells (HSCs) for correcting genetic diseases
- Performance of general laboratory tasks, including maintenance of equipment
- Maintain accurate and reliable record keeping including database management, notebooks, and all other pertinent documentation
- Compile, analyze and present data to functional teams.
- BS in cell biology, molecular biology or similar discipline with at least 3 years related experience in a laboratory environment.
- Mammalian cell culture experience is required, primary cell experience desired.
- Well versed in a variety of cell based methods with a strong understanding of tissue culture, cell biology, molecular biology, and general laboratory techniques.
- Experience with flow cytometry is required
- Experience with HPLC is a plus.
- Experience with Luminex is a plus
- Willingness to work with lentiviral vector and human biological samples
- Willingness to work with mouse bone marrow and tissue (live mouse handling not required)
- Ability to take ownership of projects and results
- Independently motivated, detail oriented and good problem solving ability
- Excellent organizational skills, sufficient to multi-task in a fast-paced environment with changing priorities
- Strong verbal and written skills; ability to provide focus and clarity; able to handle confidential information and material appropriately
- Ability to work in a collaborative team environment, meet deadlines, prioritize and balance work from multiple individuals
- Working knowledge of various computer software (including but not limited to FLOWJO, Graphpad prism, FACSDiva, Microsoft office) to record scientific data and results, and prepare reports.
- Be ready to embrace the principles of the bluebird bio culture: b colorful, b cooperative, and b yourself
Note to Employment Agencies: Please do not forward any agency resumes. bluebird bio is not responsible for any fees related to resumes that are unsolicited.