The focus of this position is to support ongoing discovery research projects in bluebird bio’s genome editing and emerging technologies group. Bluebird bio seeks an outstanding associate scientist to support our in vivo gene editing platform. We are looking for a self-motivated, innovative scientist looking to work in a highly collaborative and multidisciplinary environment that can take an experiment from inception to execution. The candidate will provide hands on support to the gene editing team for basic molecular biology, quality control, experimental execution and data analysis.
- Molecular cloning to generate, evaluate, and optimize DNA sequences
- Set up and characterize in vitro transcription reactions
- Perform mRNA quality assessments
- Tissue culture and molecular biology experiments to test gene editing efficiency in cells transfected via several delivery methods.
- PCR/ELISA/Luminex/FACS/Western blots to phenotypically assess gene edited cells/animals
- Maintain and organize a detailed electronic laboratory notebook
- Contribute to experimental design and project direction
- Provide critical lab support while working in a collaborative team environment
- Compile and present research data to functional teams
- BS with 2+ years of industry experience, MS with 0-2 years of directly related experience. Degree emphasis in Molecular Biology, Biochemistry, Bioengineering or related field preferred.
- This is a hands-on position conducting laboratory experiment, good laboratory notebook practices and writing skills are essential
- Expertise in sequence analysis, molecular cloning, sub cloning and vector design is essential
- Experience with standard molecular biology techniques to include but not limited to, PCR, RT-PCR, qPCR, Westerns, ELISA, and FACS.
- Experience with mammalian tissue culture, cell transfections, and end point analysis necessary
- Experience with in vitro transcription and mRNA biology a plus
- Experience with Luminex is a plus
- Experience, designing, handling and utilizing AAV a plus.
- Rodent primary cell culturing a plus
- Strong verbal and written skills; ability to provide focus and clarity; able to handle confidential information and material appropriately
- Ability to work effectively in a collaborative team environment where results are achieved through influence and the incorporation of multiple points of view
- Independently motivated, detail oriented and good problem-solving ability
- Excellent organizational skills, sufficient to multi-task in an extremely fast-paced environment with changing priorities
bluebird bio will only accept job applications from candidates who are properly documented with authorization to work in the United States.
Note to Employment Agencies: Please do not forward any agency resumes. bluebird bio is not responsible for any fees related to resumes that are unsolicited.