Join bluebird bio’s enthusiastic and collaborative Genomics team and contribute to the overall success of our novel gene and cell therapy approach. The new Sr. Associate Scientist will develop and support Next-Generation Sequencing-based assays to evaluate gene-editing based therapeutics for clinical applications. The new hire will also contribute to immunotherapy and hematopoietic stem cell (HSC) platforms.
About The Role
- Develop and perform NGS-based assays to evaluate engineered nucleases for gene-editing program.
- Perform library construction for RNAseq, WGS, amplicon-seq and additional assays to support various immunotherapy and HSC projects
- Operate and maintain Illumina sequencing platforms
- Actively suggest improvements to assays, troubleshoot, communicate and set timelines.
- Analyze and present data to cross-functional and cross-site (Cambridge, Seattle) teams.
- Maintain a lab notebook and contribute to documentation.
- As required, perform additional molecular and cellular biology experiments – FACS, tissue culture, qPCR, cloning.
The qualified candidate will have:
- MS or BS in molecular biology, cell biology, or related discipline and at least 5 years (BS) or 3 years (MS) of industry/laboratory experience
- Have extensive experience and understanding of general molecular biology techniques – PCR, qPCR.
- Hands-on experience in Illumina library construction is highly desirable.
- Experience loading, maintaining and troubleshooting Illumina sequencers is a plus.
- Cell culture and FACS experience is desirable but not required. In particular, experience with gene-editing (CRISPR/Cas9) is a plus.
- Experience in HTS/Automation would be a plus.
- Excellent communication skills and attention to detail.
- Strong time-management skills and multi-tasking is required
- Experience in writing SOPs is a plus
- Capable of critical thinking and problem solving
bluebird bio will only accept job applications from candidates who are properly documented with authorization to work in the United States.
Note to Employment Agencies: Please do not forward any agency resumes. bluebird bio is not responsible for any fees related to resumes that are unsolicited.