bluebird bio at Research Triangle – Manager / Senior Manager, Project Management and Operational Excellence
Join bluebird bio’s enthusiastic and collaborative team and contribute to the overall success of our novel gene therapy approaches. bluebird bio seeks an agile manufacturing leader at our new manufacturing facility in North Carolina’s Research Triangle. This facility will supply clinical and commercial lentiviral vector (LVV), a critical starting material in our gene therapy platform.
- During the facility design, construction, tech transfer, and startup, you will lead Project Management activities in support of the Process Engineering lead and Construction lead. You will work with external engineering firms and the cross-functional bluebird team, including Manufacturing, Quality Assurance, Quality Control, Facilities, Supply Chain, Manufacturing Sciences & Technology, Process Development, Human Resources, and Finance.
- As the facility transitions from a capital project to routine manufacturing, the role will transition to lead all site Operational Excellence activities, reporting to the Site Head.
About the role:
- During the facility design, construction, tech transfer, and startup:
- Develop and maintain integrated project plans to identify/communicate interdependencies as well as critical path activities for the facility design, construction, tech transfer and startup.
- Facilitate team meetings using meeting management best practices to drive cross-functional communication, timely and effective decision making, and successful execution of project objectives.
- Effectively communicate with team members, senior leaders and key stakeholders on the status, objectives, risks, and mitigation plans associated with projects, as well as ensure team memebers are aware of integrated project timelines.
- As the site lead for Operational Excellence:
- Lead the design and implementation of a cross-functional management system, focused on identifying KPIs, tracking their performance on a daily basis, and rapidly taking action based upon that performance.
- Be site’s expert in structured problem solving, requiring the person to lead complex investigations and teach/coach others in problem solving methodology.
- Manage a project portfolio that aligns with the strategic objectives of the site.
- BS in a scientific discipline with 5-8+ years of industry experience.
- Experience with both commercial and/or clinical GMP manufacturing is required
- Lean Six Sigma certification or equivalent is strongly preferred, with a track record of process troubleshooting and continuous improvement.
- Experience with a new facility startup and/or process technology transfers is preferred
- Must be willing to have a flexible schedule to support 24x7 manufacturing activities. The role will be based in Research Triangle, NC. Travel to Boston, MA, is expected to be ~50% during facility design in 2018 and then approximately <25% thereafter as the facility transitions to routine manufacturing.
- Excellent communication skills and ability to influence across multiple functions.
- Expert knowledge and proficiency of MS Project, MS Visio, and the Microsoft Office Suite
- Be ready to embrace the principles of the bluebird bio culture: b colorful, b cooperative, and b yourself
Note to Employment Agencies: Please do not forward any agency resumes. bluebird bio is not responsible for any fees related to resumes that are unsolicited.