Join bluebird bio’s European team, as the General Manager for Italy, to bring the promise of gene therapy to patients with cerebral adrenoleukodystrophy, thalassemia, and sickle cell disease. Europe is bluebird’s first launch market and we are seeking collaborative, creative and passionate individuals to help define and execute how bluebird’s gene therapies will be brought to patients in Europe. This is not the pharmaceutical launch of yesterday!
About the Role:
- Lead the launch of gene therapy products in Italy.
- Development of a market entry plan for new and future products (regulatory, patients advocacy, KOL management, pricing & reimbursement, distribution)
- Be the face of bluebird in Italy for access and policy stakeholders, media, patient groups and physicians
- With market access, lead the reimbursement negotiations with local authorities and liaise with health authorities and payers as required.
- Development and maintenance of excellent relationships with key opinion leaders
- Work with the EU head of Operations to establish, onboard, and develop new gene therapy center-of-excellence (COE) in Italy
- Manage expansion of COEs as necessary to satisfy patient demand – either more COEs in country or addition of other countries
- Enable referral network from treating hematologists/ neurologists to centers-of-excellence
- Ensure positive patient experience with the therapy and bluebird (multi-month process for the patient to be treated)
- Build and manage a lean, cross functional team
- Attract, build, lead and develop a team of (in-house) Medical, Market, Access, and Key Account Managers with diverse and complimentary skills sets
- Manage a highly cross-functional team, equally weighted between market access, medical and commercial.
- Bring the bluebird culture in Italy
- Coach and develop team-members to ensure the future leadership growth of bluebird.
- Manage the country strategy and be a core member of the EU management team for bluebird
- Full P&L responsibility for Italy.
- Development of short and long term strategic plans for the affiliate’s development
- The Country Manager will play a key role in establishing the culture of European Operations as the global footprint is being established. Shared resources will be provided by the European Headquarters in Zug or outsourced (Finance, HR, Supply Chain and Distribution, Marketing, Legal etc.) to/for the country operations.
- 15+ years of relevant work experience in biotech/pharma with a demonstrated ability to work cross functionally
- An advance degree (MBA, PhD, or MD) preferred
- Deep experience in the Italian market and understanding/ experience with Italian market access.
- Market Access, Public Policy and/or Medical experience is a plus.
- Fluent in English and Italian
- Previous GM experience and/or business unit management preferred, with strong analytical, communication and project management skills to effectively translate ideas and insights into actionable plan
- Experience in: business to business negotiation and management and complex cross functional project management
- Experience launching a commercial product on the Italian market
- Excellent organizational skills, sufficient to multi-task in an extremely fast-paced environment with changing priorities, ability to work autonomously is a must
- Be ready to embrace the principles of the bluebird bio culture: b colorful, b cooperative, and b yourself
bluebird bio will only accept job applications from candidates who are properly documented with authorization to work in the United States.
Note to Employment Agencies: Please do not forward any agency resumes. bluebird bio is not responsible for any fees related to resumes that are unsolicited.