Next Generation Platform & Technologies Group
Join bluebird bio’s enthusiastic and collaborative team by contributing to the overall success of our novel gene therapy approaches. The focus of this Associate Scientist II position is to provide support for the development of a next-generation lentiviral vector manufacturing process. We seek candidates with an engineering background and process development experience, preferably in cell and gene based therapies. The candidate should have proven ability to successfully work independently and collaboratively across functions to meet aggressive project timelines, with the ultimate goal to deliver therapies that transform the lives of patients.
- Support the development of next-generation scalable lentiviral vector manufacturing process.
- Execute technical work related to process development, including bench scale lentiviral vector production in stirred tank reactors.
- Perform analytical testing of lentiviral vector products in support of process development work, including tissue culture, flow cytometry and RT-PCR.
- Analyze, compile and present research data to functional teams.
- Maintain accurate and reliable record keeping including database management, batch records, notebooks, and all other pertinent documentation.
- This is a hands-on lab based position and requires the candidate to have a flexible schedule based on experimental and company needs (including possible weekend work)
- BS with 2-5 years of directly related experience or MS with 0-2 years of directly related experience. Degree emphasis in Chemical Engineering, Biochemistry, Bioengineering, Molecular Biology, or related field preferred.
- Ability to conduct laboratory experiments while complying to safe work environment and good laboratory notebook practices.
- An understanding of the fundamentals of production of biologics or more specifically viral vectors.
- Good scientific aptitude allowing formulation of hypothesis, design and execution of experiments, data analysis and sound scientific conclusions.
- Proficiency in mammalian cell culture required.
- Experience with stirred tank bioreactors and SCADA software preferred.
- Experience with flow cytometry and PCR preferred.
- Experience with high-throughput process development techniques and statistical design of experience (DoE) preferred.
- Knowledge of GMP/ICH/FDA regulations preferred.
- Superb organizational and communications—both written and oral skills—and a “do-what-it-takes” attitude.
- Ability to work in a team environment, meet deadlines, and prioritize and balance work in an extremely fast-paced environment with changing priorities.
- Be ready to embrace the principles of the bluebird bio culture: b colorful, b cooperative, and b yourself.
bluebird bio will only accept job applications from candidates who are properly documented with authorization to work in the United States.
Note to Employment Agencies: Please do not forward any agency resumes. bluebird bio is not responsible for any fees related to resumes that are unsolicited.