Associate Scientist/Senior Associate Scientist, Cellular Process Development
Stem cell therapies
bluebird bio is developing potentially transformative, one-time gene therapies for severe genetic and orphan diseases. At the heart of bluebird bio’s product creation efforts is its broadly applicable gene therapy platform for the development of new treatments for diseases with few or no clinical options. bluebird bio has two clinical stage product candidates in development, one for childhood cerebral adrenoleukodystrophy (CCALD) and one for beta-thalassemia major/sickle cell disease, and an early stage oncology program in partnership with Celgene Corporation.
Join bluebird bio’s enthusiastic and collaborative team by contributing to the overall success of our novel gene therapy approach. The focus of this position is to provide support for the development of the stem cell transduction and manufacturing processes. We are looking for a motivated associate scientist with the experience and drive to take ownership important process development projects.
- All aspects of mammalian cell culture, including media and buffer preparation, culture initiation, propagation, and cryopreservation of cells, including primary human cells from commercial and/or patient sources
- Perform complex technical work related to stem cell biology, viral gene transfer, and molecular biology, including tissue culture, flow cytometry and RT-PCR
- Transduction of CD34+ cells with lentiviral vectors
- Preparation of cells to meet the demands of multiple concurrent projects that require working evenings and occasional weekends
- Performance of general laboratory tasks, including maintenance of equipment
- Maintain accurate and reliable record keeping including database management, batch records, notebooks, and all other pertinent documentation
- BS or MS cell biology, immunology or related discipline with at least 2 years' experience in the biotechnology or pharmaceutical industry
- Willingness to work with lentiviral vector and human biological samples (viral vector biology experience a plus)
- Ability to take ownership of projects and results
- Independently motivated, detail oriented and good problem solving ability
- Excellent organizational skills, sufficient to multi-task in a fast-paced environment with changing priorities
- Strong verbal and written skills; ability to provide focus and clarity; able to handle confidential information and material appropriately
- Experience working with blood products
- Well versed in a variety of cell based methods with a strong understanding of tissue culture, cell biology, immunoassays, and general laboratory techniques.
- Working knowledge of various computer software, hardware, and standard office sufficient to record scientific data and results, and prepare reports.
- Ability to work in a team environment, meet deadlines, and prioritize and balance work from multiple individuals
- Ability to work effectively in a collaborative team environment where results are achieved through influence and the incorporation of multiple points of view
- Be ready to embrace the principles of the bluebird bio culture: b colorful, b cooperative, and b yourself
This is an exciting time to join the field of gene therapy in general, and to become a part of the bluebird bio team in particular. bluebird bio is a publicly traded company on the NASDAQ Global Select Market and trades under the symbol BLUE. We were recently named to the 2012 FierceBiotech Fierce 15. We offer a fast-paced, dynamic, collaborative, colorful, and scientifically rigorous environment, with all the fun and passion that a start-up provides, plus an excellent benefits package that includes stock options, commuter/parking benefit, etc.
bluebird bio will only accept job applications from candidates who are properly documented with authorization to work in the United States.
Note to Employment Agencies: Please do not forward any agency resumes. bluebird bio is not responsible for any fees related to resumes that are unsolicited.