bluebird bio is a clinical-stage company committed to developing potentially transformative gene therapies for severe genetic diseases and T cell-based immunotherapies. The company’s objective is to develop and bring to market the most advanced products based on the transformative potential of gene therapy to provide patients hope for a better life in the face of limited or no long-term safe and effective treatment options. Headquartered in Cambridge, Massachusetts, bluebird bio has operations in the U.S. and Europe.
Join bluebird bio’s enthusiastic and collaborative Cellular Analytics team by contributing to the overall success of our cell-based therapeutics programs. The focus of this position is to provide tissue culture and assay development support for characterization of the T cell and stem cell transduction and manufacturing process. We are looking for an innovative, independent scientist with the breadth of experience and drive to implement our vision for this function.
• Characterization of in-process and post-expansion genetically modified primary human T cell and stem cell cultures using immunological assays (killing assays, ELISA, luminex, etc). Flow cytometry experience a plus
• All aspects of mammalian tissue culture, including: culture initiation, expansion and maintenance of gene-modified primary cells, cryopreservation, media and buffer preparation
• RNA isolation from gene-modified cells and qPCR
• Perform general laboratory tasks, including maintenance of equipment
• Responsible for drafting process development reports
• Contribute to the development of new methods, techniques and evaluation criteria
• Must be willing to have a flexible schedule (some weekend work will be required).
• BS/MS cell biology, immunology or related discipline with 3-5+ years experience in a relevant field
• Well-versed in a variety of cell based methods with a strong understanding of tissue culture, cell biology, immunoassays, and general laboratory techniques
• Have superb aseptic technique and experience with culturing primary cells.
• Working knowledge of various computer software, hardware, and Microsoft office sufficient to record scientific data and results, and prepare reports.
• Function independently and collaboratively, detail-oriented, problem-solving skills
• Ability to work in a team environment, meet deadlines, and prioritize and balance work from multiple individuals
• Excellent organizational skills, sufficient to multi-task in a fast-paced environment with changing priorities
• Strong verbal and written skills; ability to provide focus and clarity; able to handle confidential information and material appropriately
• Be ready to embrace the principles of the bluebird bio culture: b colorful, b cooperative, and b yourself
This is an exciting time to join the field of gene therapy in general, and to become a part of the bluebird bio team in particular. bluebird bio is a publicly traded company on the NASDAQ Global Select Market and trades under the symbol BLUE. We were recently named to the 50 Smartest Companies 2017, MIT Technology Review, and won #6 in the Large Company category at the Boston Business Journal's Best Places to Work. We offer a fast-paced, dynamic, collaborative, colorful, and scientifically rigorous environment, with all the fun and passion that a start-up provides, plus an excellent benefits package that includes stock options, commuter/parking benefit, etc.
bluebird bio will only accept job applications from candidates who are properly documented with authorization to work in the United States.
Note to Employment Agencies: Please do not forward any agency resumes. bluebird bio is not responsible for any fees related to resumes that are unsolicited.