bluebird bio is seeking a VP, Business Development to play a leadership role in developing and executing our business strategy and expanding our growth/opportunities including alliances, partnerships, and other collaborations. Reporting into the Senior Vice President, Corporate Development and Strategy, this person will play a key role in sourcing, evaluating, structuring and negotiating deals for the company.
About the role:
- Work closely with stakeholders within the Immuno-oncology and Severe Genetic Disease franchises and R&D to understand and support key strategic goals and associated business development activities.
- Lead the identification, diligence, evaluation and development of acquisition, license, and partnership opportunities.
- Structure, negotiate and close significant and complex deals in line with company’s business development objectives.
- Drive appropriate financial analysis to enable evaluation of opportunities
- Ensure that the company is well represented in deal situations.
- Lead/co-lead out-license/partnership discussions.
- Lead/co-lead efforts to in-license additional programs.
- Fosters internal communication and collaboration to ensure successful partnerships.
- Plans, develops, and successfully structures and negotiates new business proposals.
- Leads cross-functional project teams.
- JD/PhD/MD/MBA with 10+ years of relevant industry experience in biotech/pharma, and 7+ years in business development leadership roles. A background in science or medicine is preferred. Must have an aptitude to quickly understand new science and technology.
- Demonstrated track record of a wide range of executed transactions. Experience in negotiating and closing a variety of business agreements including M&A transactions, joint ventures, licensing agreements, co-promotions, strategic alliances and other types of corporate collaborations.
- Strong business and financial acumen with the ability to evaluate deal alternatives.
- Strong leadership qualities including strategic thinking, innovation, mentoring, scaling, collaboration, etc.
- Experience leading cross-functional teams to build strong working relationships with colleagues and to ensure efficient and effective achievement of key deliverables.
- Robust understanding of the full drug development and global regulatory processes, lifecycle management and commercialization of therapeutics.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills to effectively convey key recommendations to senior management. Also ensures clarity of focus and message during internal and external discussions.
- Knowledge of market and competitive environment including deal activity and potential opportunities.
- Can effectively manage business processes and opportunity evaluation.
- Thrives in a fast-paced environment combining strategic and tactical capabilities.
- Embraces our core values: b colorful, b cooperative, b yourself
bluebird bio will only accept job applications from candidates who are properly documented with authorization to work in the United States.
Note to Employment Agencies: Please do not forward any agency resumes. bluebird bio is not responsible for any fees related to resumes that are unsolicited.