bluebird bio, a pioneer in lentiviral vector based gene therapies and cellular immunotherapies, is seeking a talented, results-oriented, strategic Scientific Communications professional to join its growing Medical Affairs team. At bluebird we are committed to using cutting-edge science to make a real difference for patients with serious rare and genetic disease. bluebird is developing Lenti-D as an autologous hematopoietic stem cell (HSC) gene therapy for cerebral adrenoleukodystrophy (CALD). As a leader in the Scientific Communication and Medical Operations team (SCMO), the AD, Sci Comm & Ed will develop and lead execution of a comprehensive scientific communications and education strategy including but not limited to core medical content, internal and external medical education, congress planning, and publications, for the hemoglobinopathies therapeutic area. This individual will work closely with Clinical Development and Regulatory to interpret and communicate about emerging data from multiple clinical studies and real-world evidence collection initiatives. The Lenti-D program is also preparing for commercialization and the AD, Sci Comm & Ed will be a core member of the launch planning team. Additionally, this individual will manage internal medical education and external scientific communication efforts for early-stage programs in bluebird’s HSC gene therapy program.
bluebird bio is a dynamic, collaborative, scientifically-driven culture and the successful individual will have broad opportunities to be involved cross-functionally and grow rapidly as the organization evolves. Ability to flex, comfort with ambiguity, and facility with problem-solving are critical as we blaze new paths to bring innovative therapies to patients.
- Develop the CALD scientific communications and education strategy and contribute to the overall Medical Strategic Plan and Integrated Commercialization Plan for LentiGlobin in thalassemia and sickle cell disease.
- Lead scientific content development, knowledge integration activities, and medical information activities for CALD and the HSC pipeline.
- Provide expertise to a wide variety of communication-related projects by engaging with investigators, KOLs, and internal departments including Clinical Development, Statistics/Data Management, Access Value Evidence and Strategy (AVES), Investor Relations, Preclinical Research, Commercial, Patient Advocacy, Field Medical, Medical Directors’ Office, Legal, Safety, and Regulatory.
- Lead cross-functional data communication efforts, in alignment with Program and Commercialization Teams, to ensure synthesis and publication of data to address unmet educational needs.
- Identify needs for HCP education and field medical resources; develop medical communications and educational resources based on available data.
- Lead medical congress planning for CALD.
- Assist with identification and execution of Thought Leader engagement activities.
- Provide mentoring and supervision to junior staff, as appropriate.
- Ensure quality, rigor, fair balance and integrity in development of publications, medical information, and medical communications materials.
Skills and Experience
- 5+ years in a biotechnology/pharmaceutical environment required, in-house or at an agency or consultancy
- A combination of scientific publication and cross-functional scientific and medical communication experience
- Excellent communication and project management skills; proven ability to effectively collaborate and influence decision-making across multiple levels of an organization
- Ability to critically appraise medical/scientific literature with attention to strategic needs
- Prior biotech industry launch experience preferred
- Able to travel for scientific congress meetings as necessary
- Attention to detail and the ability to work individually, within a multi-disciplinary team, as well as with external partners and vendors
- Excitement about the vision and mission of bluebird, and commitment to our core values: b colorful, b cooperative, b yourself.
bluebird bio will only accept job applications from candidates who are properly documented with authorization to work in the United States.
Note to Employment Agencies: Please do not forward any agency resumes. bluebird bio is not responsible for any fees related to resumes that are unsolicited.