Reporting to the VP Finance, the Director of Tax & Treasury provides hands-on leadership for all tax activities at bluebird bio, including oversight of European entity taxation, filings and compliance. In addition, this position requires oversight of our cash management and insurance programs.
The Director of Tax & Treasury will lead the company’s tax planning, compliance and provision activities in collaborating with external tax specialists, finance team members and European operations personnel. The candidate will be responsible for global corporate income tax provision and collaborate closely with external tax specialists to plan and implement global tax planning initiatives. This person will also oversee the tax compliance deliverables related to US federal, state and foreign taxes, sales and use taxes, vat and excise taxes. In addition, this position requires oversight of our cash management and insurance programs.
About the role:
- Working closely with external tax advisors, plan, recommend and lead the implementation of global tax planning initiatives.
- Manage the tax provision process for the company’s global income taxes
- Oversee the calendar of filing deliverables to ensure compliance with tax deliverables for US federal, state and foreign income taxes
- Collaborate with cross-functional teams on legal entities’ initiatives
- Provide high quality and timely services on tax matters to global subsidiaries
- Manage special tax consulting engagements with external tax advisors
- Research and analyze technical tax issues and their impact on tax provisions
- Prepare internal tax disclosures
- Evaluate and implement technology and lean business techniques to improve business processes
- Manage and maintain an appropriate insurance program balancing business needs and risk
- Oversee an outsourced cash management function ensuring preservation of principal and adequate cash flow to meet company objectives
- Bachelor's degree in finance and Master’s degree in Tax or equivalent is required
- At least 5 years of relevant tax experience in the biotech or pharma industry is required
- Must have Big Four accounting firm experience and/or large multinational company, to include at least 5 years of management experience
- At least 2 years of experience in leading international tax planning and compliance initiatives
- Solid knowledge of assessing and understanding tax impact on company business, operations and transactions in multiple jurisdictions
- Proficient in global tax provision and compliance processes
- Solid tax accounting background
- Proven track record in building and developing teams (outsourced to start)
- Demonstrated ability to create an environment of high performance and engagement
- Strong project management and implementation skills.
- An independent self-starter, with a strong sense of accountability and mindset of high quality results
- Strong attention to detail with critical thinking and problem solving skills
- Excellent communication and collaboration skills. Ability to thrive in a fast-paced environment to define processes, drive improvements, and guide business partners
- Proven ability to leverage current technology to drive process efficiencies
- Be ready to embrace the principles of the bluebird bio culture: b colorful, b cooperative, and b yourself
bluebird bio will only accept job applications from candidates who are properly documented with authorization to work in the United States.
Note to Employment Agencies: Please do not forward any agency resumes. bluebird bio is not responsible for any fees related to resumes that are unsolicited.