Join bluebird bio’s passionate and collaborative team by contributing to the overall success of our novel gene therapy approach. bluebird bio seeks an outstanding General Manager for Germany. Reporting to the Senior Vice President and Head of Europe, the primary function of this role will be to ensure the successful launch of bluebird’s portfolio of gene therapy products. Bluebird is seeking a leader in the biotech/pharmaceutical industry to bring meaningful change to the lives of German patients with cerebral adrenoleukodystrophy, thalassemia, and sickle cell disease.
About the Role:
- Lead the launch of gene therapy products in Germany
- Develop market entry plans for new and future products (regulatory, patients advocacy, KOL management, pricing & reimbursement, distribution)
- Be the ‘face of bluebird’ in Germany for access and policy stakeholders, media, patient groups and physicians
- With market access, lead the reimbursement negotiations with local authorities and liaise with health authorities and payers as required
- Develop and maintain excellent relationships with key opinion leaders
- Work with the EU head of Operations to establish, onboard, and develop new gene therapy center-of-excellence (COE) in Germany
- Manage expansion of COEs as necessary to satisfy patient demand – either more COEs in country or addition of other countries
- Enable referral network from treating hematologists/ neurologists to centers-of-excellence
- Ensure positive patient experience with the therapy and bluebird (multi-month process for the patient to be treated)
- Attract, build, lead and develop a cross-functional team of (in-house) Medical, Market, Access, and Key Account Managers with diverse and complimentary skills sets
- Manage a highly cross-functional team, equally weighted between market access, medical and commercial
- Coach and develop team-members to ensure the future leadership growth of bluebird, serve as a champion for bluebird culture in Germany and Europe
- Manage the country strategy and be a core member of the EU management team for bluebird
- Maintain Full P&L responsibility for Germany
- Develop short and long term strategic plans for the affiliate’s development
- Play a key role in establishing the culture of European Operations as the global footprint is being established. Shared resources will be provided by the European Headquarters in Zug or outsourced (Finance, HR, Supply Chain and Distribution, Marketing, Legal etc.) to/for the country operations.
- 15+ years of relevant work experience in biotech/pharma with a demonstrated ability to work cross functionally
- An advance degree (MBA, PhD, or MD) preferred
- Deep experience in the German market and understanding/ experience with German market access.
- Market Access, Public Policy and/or Medical experience is a plus.
- Fluent in English and German
- Previous GM experience and/or business unit management preferred, with strong analytical, communication and project management skills to effectively translate ideas and insights into actionable plan.
- Experience in: business to business negotiation and management and complex cross functional project management
- Experience launching a commercial product on the German market
- Excellent organizational skills, sufficient to multi-task in an extremely fast-paced environment with changing priorities, ability to work autonomously is a must
- Be ready to embrace the principles of the bluebird bio culture: b colorful, b cooperative, and b yourself
bluebird bio will only accept job applications from candidates who are properly documented with authorization to work in the United States.
Note to Employment Agencies: Please do not forward any agency resumes. bluebird bio is not responsible for any fees related to resumes that are unsolicited.