Reporting to both the Senior Vice President/Head of Europe, based in Zug and the Vice President Finance and Treasurer based in Cambridge, Massachusetts, the Head/Vice President of Finance, Europe will play an integral role in establishing bluebird bio’s European Head-Quarters in Zug and help drive the commercial launch of its products in Europe. The Head/Vice President of Finance, Europe will also be a member of the European management team and be responsible for the growing Finance and administrative teams in the EU.
About the Role:
- Responsible for recording all Europe transactions in accordance with US GAAP and country--specific statutory accounting
- Working closely with the US based Finance team, establish and maintain FPA/ Accounting practices that are SOX compliant.
- Prepare and implement operational finance processes/accounting systems in the European operations, including revenue, accounts receivable and payable, cash management, etc.
- Business Partnering - Perform a strategic role in the operations of Europe and provide financial support to the Head of Europe (and his staff) to drive business strategies and optimise business performance.
- Lead Europe budget preparation and control
- Manage monthly management reporting, forecasting and budgeting process
- Establish routine business processes to facilitate information flow and decision making between US Headquarter and the European operations
- Work with the Country General Managers to implement and continuously improve financial controls
- Act as Finance interface for all cross Functional projects relating to European expansion with a focus on:
- Lead all statutory and tax filings and secure financial compliance in all European geographies where bluebird bio operate
- Interface frequently and effectively with other department heads to coordinate, and prioritize planning
- Maintain strong relationships with banks, auditors, and tax authorities
- Recruit, lead, develop and manage the European Finance Department staff, including: coaching and performance management
- Through example, inspire employees to operate with the highest levels of integrity and ethics
- Bachelors in Finance, Accounting or Business Administration, MBA, ideally complemented with a recognized Finance/Accountancy qualification (CPA, ACA, CA, CIMA, ACCA, DEC etc.)
- Prior experience as Head/Vice President of Finance for Europe/international for a US based pharmaceutical or biotech company is required.
- Must be fluent in US GAAP and have experience working for a US based company
- Minimum of 12 years work experience within an international organization in the Life-Science industry, commercial launch experience preferred
- Strong leadership, communication and diplomacy skills
- Superior analytical skills and proven ability to think strategically but also have a demonstrated focus on action and implementation
- Resilience and ability to manage ambiguity, ability to work in an entrepreneurial and high-growth environment
- Highly effective communication skills (written, oral and presentation) in English and preferably in one other European language. Fluency in English is required.
- Team player, strong business orientation, track record of successfully operating in a matrix management environment
- Ability to build strong relationships internally and externally with executive level leaders
- Be ready to embrace the principles of the bluebird bio culture: b colorful, b cooperative, and b yourself
bluebird bio will only accept job applications from candidates who are properly documented with authorization to work in the United States.
Note to Employment Agencies: Please do not forward any agency resumes. bluebird bio is not responsible for any fees related to resumes that are unsolicited.