Join bluebird bio’s enthusiastic and collaborative team by contributing to the overall success of our novel gene therapy approach. Reporting to the Associate Director, External Reporting & Compliance, this person will be responsible for assisting with the preparation of SEC filings, including 10-Qs and 10-Ks and other SEC filings, as well assisting with the coordination of the internal and external audits. This person will be responsible for researching and documenting technical accounting positions and memos and will facilitate aspects of internal controls and Sarbanes-Oxley compliance.
ABOUT THE ROLE:
External and Audit Committee reporting
- Prepare all required SEC reporting documents, including annual reports on Form 10-K, 10-Qs, proxy filings, and prospectus supplements, as applicable.
- Assist with the preparation of earnings releases and Form 8-Ks, as needed.
- Prepare and/or review of various supporting schedules.
- Manage the coordination of annual audits and quarterly reviews by external auditors, including the audit of our financial statements and 401k Plan.
- Maintain quarterly reporting timelines and communicate this clearly to relevant internal and external stakeholders.
- Assist with Audit Committee agenda oversight and preparation of meeting materials
- Enhance the Company’s system of internal controls by establishing and monitoring appropriate internal controls to ensure conformance and compliance with US GAAP and other statutory requirements including Sarbanes-Oxley.
- Manage updates to the internal control matrix and communicate changes to key personnel.
- Participate in long-term planning and implementation projects to ensure effective use of current and future technology.
- Develop accounting control assessment procedures to ensure compliance with our accounting policies.
- Determine financial statement materiality and related posting thresholds
Technical accounting and policy creation
- Assist with technical accounting research and document conclusions reached in a clear, logical and comprehensive manner. Accounting areas of focus will include, leases, collaborations, research & development expense and Business Development activity.
- Monitor the development and applicability of emerging accounting pronouncement and determine the applicability to bluebird. Assist with the implementation of new guidance.
- Assist with the creation, documentation, and maintenance of company accounting policies.
- Complete ad-hoc projects and analyses, as needed.
- Bachelor’s degree or higher in Accounting or Finance is required
- CPA required
- 4-6 years of public accounting experience (preferably in the biotechnology industry) is required with heavy exposure to SEC and financial reporting. Big 4 experience strongly preferred.
- Strong knowledge of US GAAP and SEC rules and regulations is required, combined with the ability to research and propose company positions on complex accounting issues
- Ability to clearly and concisely document technical accounting and reporting matters
- Strong communication skills, both verbal and written
- Excellent organizational skills, sufficient to multi-task in an extremely fast-paced environment with changing priorities
- Ability to execute and follow-through to completion and documentation
- Ability to work effectively in a collaborative team environment where results are achieved through influence and the incorporation of multiple points of view
- Independently motivated, detail oriented and good problem-solving ability
- Ability to interact with employees at all levels of the organization
- Be ready to embrace the principles of the bluebird bio culture: b colorful, b cooperative, and b yourself
Note to Employment Agencies: Please do not forward any agency resumes. bluebird bio is not responsible for any fees related to resumes that are unsolicited.