6 Month Contract
Lentiviral Vectors – Analytical Operations
bluebird bio is developing potentially transformative, one-time gene therapies for severe genetic and orphan diseases. At the heart of bluebird bio’s product creation efforts is its broadly applicable gene therapy platform for the development of new treatments for diseases with few or no clinical options. bluebird bio has two clinical stage product candidates in development, one for childhood cerebral adrenoleukodystrophy (CCALD) and one for beta-thalassemia major/sickle cell disease, and an early stage oncology program in partnership with Celgene Corporation.
Join bluebird bio’s enthusiastic and collaborative team by contributing to the overall success of our novel gene therapy approach. This is an entry level position, the focus of which is to provide support for process development and characterization of lentiviral vectors and their manufacturing processes. We are looking for a motivated associate scientist to contribute to team projects and take ownership of important tasks, with the ultimate goal to deliver therapies that transform the lives of patients.
About the position:
- Perform routine analytical testing to support our lentiviral vector (LVV) platform. Responsibilities will mainly include qPCR, ELISA, and cell-based assays.
- Generate, manage, evaluate, and maintain critical data in a highly organized manner including lab notebook maintenance with good documentation practices.
- Perform general lab maintenance and upkeep, including ordering laboratory supplies and maintaining key analytical equipment.
- Quickly learn new techniques, plan and execute experiments, and provide input on data interpretation and troubleshooting.
- Support assay qualification and development activities and interact with CMOs and other vendors, as needed.
- BS/MS in biochemistry or biological sciences or engineering with 0-2 years (BS) of experience in a laboratory environment.
- Technical understanding and/or experience with general lab techniques such as pipetting, making reagents, cell culture, qPCR, ELISA and gel electrophoresis techniques
- Working knowledge of various computer software, hardware, and standard office systems sufficient to record scientific data and results, and prepare reports.
- Excellent organization skills, sufficient to multi-task in a fast-paced environment with changing priorities.
- Superb communications—both written and oral skills and “do-what-it-takes” attitude.
- Track record of completing deliverables within specified timelines.
- Independently motivated, detail oriented and good problem solving ability
- Must be able to work effectively as part of a multi-disciplinary team.
- Must be willing to have a flexible schedule based on experimental and company needs (occasional weekend and holiday work may be required)
- Be ready to embrace the principles of the bluebird bio culture: b colorful, b cooperative, and b yourself.
Note to Employment Agencies: Please do not forward any agency resumes. bluebird bio is not responsible for any fees related to resumes that are unsolicited.