Join bluebird bio’s European team as Director Public Affairs, Italy, to bring the promise of gene therapy to patients with serious genetic and rare diseases in Italy. Europe is bluebird’s first launch market and we are seeking collaborative, creative and passionate individuals to help bring bluebird’s gene therapies to patients in Europe. This is not the pharmaceutical launch of yesterday!
A newly designed role within bluebirdbio’s Global Government Affairs & Public Policy function and reporting to the Head of European Public Affairs, you will be responsible for developing and implementing integrated Government Affairs and Public Policy, Communications and Patient Advocacy strategies, initiatives, and activities related to the national and regional policy and stakeholder environment in Italy. You will act as the strategic lead for Public Affairs in Italy, working closely with the colleagues in Europe and in Italy across all relevant functions including: Government Affairs & Public Policy, Market Access, Commercial/Operations, Medical Affairs, Communications, and Patient Advocacy.
About the Role:
- Develop and drive national and regional Public Affairs strategies and initiatives in support of a favourable external operating environment for the launch of bluebird’s gene therapies in Italy
- Implement bluebird bio’s global and EU wide policy platforms in support of bluebird bio’s gene therapies
- Work collaboratively with Market Access (AVES), Commercial/Operations, Communications, Patient Advocacy, and Medical in Europe
- Align with Global Government Affairs & Public Policy, Communications and Patient Advocacy as part of an integrated European Public Affairs approach
- Proactive and engaged member representing bluebird bio in all relevant policy platforms that discuss and shape the policy framework and patient access for gene therapies, including industry meetings, think tank initiatives, policy roundtables, and other stakeholder policy forums; act as the key coordination point for bluebird engagement
- Anticipate, monitor and assess new government initiatives and potential policy and legislative developments (including parliamentary and policy stakeholder activities); identify key trends; determine opportunities for engagement
- Support and advance the understanding of gene therapy and bluebird policy positions and priorities in all relevant debates and stakeholder forums; Identify and create growth opportunities for bluebird bio at both national and regional level
- Raise the profile and visibility of bluebird bio in Italy, positioning bluebird as a leader, and over time, as a thought leadership in gene therapy (corporate positioning)
- Build and sustain trusted relationships with key policy healthcare stakeholders, ensuring effective and constructive engagement and collaboration
- Work with bluebird’s designated IT communications firm on media
- Act as a source of strategic counsel and represent Italy’s Public Affairs priorities internally
- Manage annual Public Affairs budget; When required, retain and deploy contract counsel on relevant national and regional policy and advocacy issues.
- BA/MA degree or equivalent in health policy, political sciences, or other related degree
- Highly experienced Public Affairs professional (12+ years) in the private sector at national and regional level encompassing Government Affairs & Public Policy, Communications and Patient Advocacy
- In-depth understanding of and experience navigating the market access environment in Italy
- Proven track-record in developing and implementing impactful Public Affairs strategies in Italy in support of a favorable business environment and patient access to innovative therapies
- Demonstrable success/experience in driving corporate awareness and implementing company positioning and transformation initiatives in an external operating environment
- Excellent understanding of national and regional political and health systems; experience in supporting and delivering unprecedented medical innovation to patients in the context of public financial austerity, etc.
- Significant communications experience that includes a blend of corporate positioning, thought leadership communications, advocacy and media relations
- Highly skilled in account management including planning, prioritization, objective setting, plan execution (external and internal)
- Strong relationship-building and networking skills with internal and external stakeholders
- Sees him/herself as an integral part of Public Affairs and of a cross-functional team
- Willingness to travel domestically and internationally appr. 30% of the time
- Fluency in Italian and in English (mandatory)
- Embody the principles of bluebird bio culture: b colorful, b cooperative, and b yourself
Note to Employment Agencies: Please do not forward any agency resumes. bluebird bio is not responsible for any fees related to resumes that are unsolicited.