bluebird bio is a leading gene therapy company developing potentially transformative, one-time gene therapies for severe genetic and orphan diseases, and cutting-edge T-cell based immunotherapy products. At the heart of bluebird bio’s product creation efforts is its broadly applicable gene therapy platform for the development of new treatments for diseases with few or no clinical options. bluebird bio has three clinical stage product candidates in development for severe genetic diseases, two early stage oncology programs in partnership with Celgene Corporation, and more on the way!
Join bluebird bio’s enthusiastic and collaborative team and contribute to the overall success of our novel gene therapy approaches. The focus of this position is to leverage multi-disciplinary methods and tools to advance process understanding and drive development of our next-generation lentiviral vector manufacturing process. We are looking for a driven associate scientist to take ownership of important development projects to build our next-generation platform.
- Execute viral vector production experiments to assess the impact of process changes and/or new technologies.
- All aspects of mammalian cell culture, including media preparation, culture initiation, and seed train maintenance.
- Perform complex technical work related to viral vector production, including cell culture, ELISA, flow cytometry and RT-PCR.
- Develop experimental plans, interpret scientific results, provide statistical analysis where appropriate, summarize and present scientific data and report progress on behalf of the team under the guidance of the Senior Scientists.
- Performance of general laboratory tasks, including maintenance of equipment and inventory.
- Generate, manage, evaluate, and maintain critical data in a highly organized manner including lab notebook maintenance with good documentation practices.
- BS/MS in Bioengineering, Chemical engineering, Biology, Cell Biology or related biological sciences with 3+ years (MS) 5+ years (BS) of relevant experience in biotechnology or pharmaceutical industry.
- Hands-on experience with mammalian cell culture is required.
- Experience with production of viral vectors is preferred.
- Experience with bioreactors, control software, and process analytical technology is preferred.
- Experience in transfection, cell-based assays, and/or molecular assays (e.g. ELISA, qPCR, flow cytometry) is preferred.
- Strong understanding of cell biology and general laboratory techniques.
- Independently motivated, detail oriented, and good problem-solving ability.
- Ability to manage priorities and make decisions in a fast-paced environment
- Must be able to work effectively as part of a multi-disciplinary team.
- Superb organizational and communications—both written and oral – skills and a “do-what-it-takes” attitude.
- Be ready to embrace the principles of the bluebird bio culture: b colorful, b cooperative, and b yourself.