Bluebird bio’s Stem Cell Research team is a friendly flock of birds focused on improving patients’ lives. Join our hardworking (but fun-loving!) team as we work together to develop gene therapies and gene editing strategies for adrenoleukodystrophy, thalassemia, sickle cell disease and other severe genetic diseases. As a Stem Cell team member, you will work with (*surprise*)stem cells to answer questions with a goal of developing improved products which may someday change lives. If you’re up for a challenge and ready to make a difference, we invite you to come make your mark with us!
This offers a great ppportunity to be part of a team exploring viral vector-mediated approaches to gene therapy and development of gene modified cell products for therapeutic application.
About the job:
- Efficiently design and execute experiments to evaluate novel viral vector constructs and/or gene modified cell products to make go/no-go decisions.
- Engage in scientific discussions with academic collaborators to critically evaluate, plan, and steer experiments.
- Prepare technical reports needed to support exploratory project moving into development.
- Exercise independent judgment in development of new methods, techniques and evaluation criteria.
- Manage direct report(s) and multiple projects.
- PhD in biological sciences, virology, or related field
- 4+ years post-doctoral experience in gene therapy required
- Hands-on experience working with lentiviral vectors required
- AAV experience preferred
- Hematopoietic stem cell experience preferred
- Experience with ex vivo cell transduction required; in vivo transduction preferred
- Prior experience managing direct report required
- Ability to work in a team environment, meet deadlines, and prioritize and balance work from multiple sources
- Independently motivated, detail oriented and good problem-solving ability
- Excellent organizational skills, with an ability to embrace change and multi-task in an extremely fast-paced environment
- Excellent communications skills and ability to influence across multiple functions
- Be ready to embrace the principles of the bluebird bio culture: b colorful, b cooperative, and b yourself